Medicine Supply Notification: Catapres® (clonidine) 100microgram tablets – Updated
Update: (07/10/2021) Resupply now expected to be w/c 11th October 2021
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has issued a Medicine Supply Notification (MSN) for Catapres® (clonidine) 100microgram tablets
Tier 2 – medium impact
Date of issue: 21/07/2021
- Very limited supplies of Catapres® (clonidine) 100microgram tablets are available until w/c 4th October 2021.
- Clonidine 25 microgram tablets remain available and able to support a full increase in demand
- Clonidine 50 microgram /5ml oral solution sugar free remain available and able to support a full increase in demand.
- The above preparations have different licensed indications (migraine or recurrent vascular headache and menopausal hot flushes) to Catapres® 100 microgram tablets
- Unlicensed imports of clonidine 100 microgram tablets can be sourced. Lead times vary.
The following specialist importers have currently confirmed they can source unlicensed clonidine 100 microgram tablets (please note, there may be other companies that can also source supplies):
If there is currently no listing on dm+d for the imported product for prescribers to select using their prescribing systems an EPS prescription for unlicensed clonidine 100 microgram tablets cannot be issued. Where a prescriber wishes to prescribe an unlicensed import, an FP10 paper prescription should be issued as ‘clonidine 100 microgram tablets (Special Order)‘ and endorsed by the pharmacy as a non-Part VIIIB special with the following information:
- Amount dispensed over pack size used;
- Invoice price per pack size from which the order was supplied less any discount or rebate;
- Manufacturers’/importers’ MHRA licence number;
- Batch number of the product supplied;
The DHSC Medicine Supply Team provide a monthly update on potential supply issues affecting both primary and secondary care. This update is uploaded on the Specialist Pharmacy Services (SPS) website. To register, you will need an NHS email address. Once set up and logged in, you will be able to access it online.
New shortages not listed on the SPS website, can be reported using our shortage reporting tool.