26 products added to the Discount Not Deducted (DND) list from February 2023
Following applications made by PSNC to the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA), a further 26 new products were classed as ‘Drugs for which Discount is Not Deducted’ (DND) from 1 February 2023. This took the total number of products granted DND status over the past 2 years to over 590 products following checks made by PSNC.
- Acarizax 12 SQ-HDM oral lyophilisates
- Co-danthramer 75mg/1000mg/5ml oral suspension sugar free
- Deferiprone 100mg/ml oral solution sugar free
- Desizon 20mg/ml oral suspension
- Ethosuximide 250mg/5ml oral solution
- Hydrocortisone 20mg modified-release tablets
- Levocarnitine 1.5g/5ml oral solution paediatric sugar free
- Levonorgestrel 19.5mg intrauterine device
- Melatonin 1mg modified-release tablets
- Mexiletine hydrochloride 200mg (Mexiletine 167mg) capsules
- Nortriptyline 10mg/5ml oral solution sugar free
- Nortriptyline 25mg/5ml oral solution sugar free
- Olanzapine embonate 210mg powder and solvent for suspension for injection vials
- Paliperidone 175mg/0.875ml prolonged-release suspension for injection pre-filled syringes
- Paliperidone 263mg/1.315ml prolonged-release suspension for injection pre-filled syringes
- Paliperidone 350mg/1.75ml prolonged-release suspension for injection pre-filled syringes
- Paliperidone 525mg/2.625ml prolonged-release suspension for injection pre-filled syringes
- Raltegravir 600mg tablets
- Risedronate sodium 30mg tablets
- Sodium bicarbonate 8.4% (1mmol/ml) solution for injection 100ml bottles
- Sodium chloride 0.9% solution for injection 50ml vials
- Sodium chloride 30% solution for infusion 50ml vials
- Sodium cromoglicate 100mg/5ml oral solution 5ml unit dose ampoules sugar free
- Tolcapone 100mg tablets
- Trifluoperazine 5mg tablets
- Vancomycin 1g powder for solution for infusion vials
For a list of all the monthly changes to the DND status of products please see the following page Notice of changes to discount not deducted (DND) status of products. Over 560 products have been granted DND status following checks made by PSNC over the past 2 years.
The DND list is updated monthly by the DHSC and includes grouped and individual items. Individual items are separately listed in Part II of the Drug Tariff. Any items covered by the ‘Group Items’ heading are not listed again individually in Part II. Contractors can also check the Actual Medicinal Product (AMP) listing on Dictionary of Medicines and Devices (dm+d) to identify whether a product meets the DND criteria (see below).
Any products that are covered by one or more of the Group items categories below are reimbursed without any discount deduction applied.
- Cold Chain Storage (ALL)
- Schedule 1, 2 or 3 Controlled Drugs: Products containing drugs listed in Schedules 1, 2 and 3 of the Misuse of Drugs Regulation 2001
- Cytotoxic or Cytostatic item (ALL):
- Immunoglobulins (ALL)
- Insulins for injection (ALL)
- Vaccines and antisera (ALL)
- Unlicensed medicines: ‘Specials’ not listed in Part VIIIB where the product has been sourced from a supplier holding a MHRA specials or importers licence (prescriptions must be endorsed with invoice price less discount/rebate)
- Hazardous chemicals
Products that do not are covered by one or more of the Group item categories above must fulfil all three of the following criteria to qualify for entry to the DND list.
- the manufacturer(s), AAH and Alliance do not offer pharmacy contractors a discount
- fewer than 500,000 items per year are dispensed of the product
- average net ingredient cost (NIC) per item is more than £50
PSNC will continue its work to assess whether other drugs and appliances fulfil the current DND entry requirements under either the ‘Group’ and ‘Individual item’ criteria and make applications to NHSBSA and DHSC, accordingly.
If a product is currently subject to the discount deduction scale and you believe that it should be added to DND list based on the criteria specified above, please contact the PSNC Dispensing and Supply Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org who will investigate whether the product meets the relevant DND criteria and make an application to the DHSC and NHSBSA, as appropriate.
For further information on how discount deduction works, click here.