Contractor Notice: Expiry of SSP014 for Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has confirmed that sufficient stock of Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg is now available to meet normal demand. As a result the Serious Shortage Protocol, SSP014 for Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg expires at 23.59pm on Friday 21 January 2022. After this date, any prescriptions for Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg must be dispensed in accordance with the prescription, and the SSP014 will no longer be valid for use.
Top tips for SSP claims
- Pharmacy teams are advised to submit their SSP claims using the EPS token if dispensing systems do not support all the endorsement requirements to submit a valid claim.
- If using an EPS token to submit SSP claims, remember to mark the corresponding EPS message as ‘Not Dispensed’ or ’ND’, to avoid double-claiming.
- Where available, use the claim amend facility on the PMR system to rectify any incorrect EPS claims already submitted this month.
- Any paper prescriptions or EPS tokens with SSP claims need to be placed in the red separator provided by the NHSBSA (and kept separate from other tokens for non-payment i.e. with paid/exempt status).
- For any supplies made in accordance with SSPs, check that the correct number of patient charges are collected and declared on the end of month FP34C submission document.
- Although an SSP cannot be used outside its period of validity, claims can be submitted up to three calendar months after expiry or withdrawal of the SSP. For example, for the Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg, which expired on 21 January, the NHSBSA would continue to look for the “SSP” or “NCSO” endorsement on prescriptions for Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg that are submitted with the January batch (submitted by the 5th of February), February batch (submitted by the 5th March) and March batch (submitted by the 5th of April).
- Until 5th February 2022, NHSBSA will accept both the “SSP” and “NCSO” endorsement. For further information on the new endorsement requirements for this SSP, see PSNC Briefing 049/21: Serious Shortage Protocol (SSP): SSP014 – Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg
- NHSBSA advise that contractors must follow the specific endorsement guidance issued with each SSP and endorsements should be clear and unambiguous – NHSBSA processing staff must be able to determine what has been supplied.
- Pharmacy contractors should keep a record of all SSP claims submitted each month to reconcile against their monthly Schedule of Payments or Prescription Item (Px) reports.
- View our SSP submission guidance to ensure your SSP claims are appropriately submitted to NHSBSA for reimbursement.
NHSBSA’s supporting endorsement guidance for SSP014 – Salazopyrin® EN-Tabs 500mg