Medicine Supply Notification: Fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral solution and fluoxetine (Olena® ) 20mg dispersible tablets
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has issued a medicine supply notification for Fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral solution and fluoxetine (Olena®) 20mg dispersible tablets.
Tier 2 – medium impact
Date of issue 3rd February 2023
- Fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral solution is in limited supply until March 2023.
- Fluoxetine (Olena®) 20mg dispersible tablets are out of stock until further notice.
- Fluoxetine capsules, including the 10mg and 20mg strengths, remain available.
- A number of Specials manufacturers are able to produce an unlicensed fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral suspension.
The following Specials manufacturers have confirmed they can manufacture unlicensed fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral suspension (please note there may be other companies that can also source supplies):
If there is currently no listing on dm+d for the imported product for prescribers to select using their prescribing systems an EPS prescription for unlicensed fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral suspension cannot be issued. Where a prescriber wishes to prescribe a specially manufactured product, an FP10 paper prescription should be issued as ‘fluoxetine 20mg/5ml oral suspension (Special Order)‘ and endorsed by the pharmacy as a non-Part VIIIB special with the following information:
- Amount dispensed over pack size used;
- Invoice price per pack size from which the order was supplied less any discount or rebate;
- Manufacturers’/importers’ MHRA licence number;
- Batch number of the product supplied;
A copy of this medicine supply notification, including further information, has been sent to all pharmacy NHS email addresses.
DHSC and NHSE/I have now launched an online Medicines Supply Tool, which provides up to date information about medicine supply issues. The contents of these MSNs can now be viewed on the Tool.
The Tool also details any changes to resupply dates and updates to the entries.
To access the Tool you will need an NHS email address. Once set up and logged in, you will be able to access it online.
New shortages not listed on the SPS website, can be reported using our shortage reporting tool.