Medicine Supply Notification: Azithromycin (Azyter® ) 15mg/g eye drops (0.25g unit dose, preservative free)
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has issued a medicine supply notification for Azithromycin (Azyter®) 15mg/g eye drops (0.25g unit dose, preservative free).
Tier 2 – medium impact
Date of issue 12th October 2023
- Azithromycin (Azyter®) 15mg/g eye drops are out of stock from mid-October to mid-November 2023.
- Alternative topical and oral antibiotics remain available
- Where alternative antibiotics are unsuitable, unlicensed imports of azithromycin 15mg/g eye drops (0.25g unit dose, preservative free) can been sourced.
The following specialist importers have confirmed they can source unlicensed azithromycin (Azyter®) 15mg/g eye drops 0.25g unit dose preservative free (please note there may be other companies that can also source supplies):
If there is currently no listing on dm+d for the imported product for prescribers to select using their prescribing systems an EPS prescription for the unlicensed product cannot be issued. Where a prescriber wishes to prescribe a specially manufactured or imported product, an FP10 paper prescription should be issued as ‘azithromycin (Azyter®) 15mg/g eye drops 0.25g unit dose preservative free (Special Order)‘ and endorsed by the pharmacy as a non-Part VIIIB special with the following information:
- Amount dispensed over pack size used;
- Invoice price per pack size from which the order was supplied less any discount or rebate;
- Manufacturers’/importers’ MHRA licence number;
- Batch number of the product supplied;
A copy of this medicine supply notification, including further information, has been sent to all pharmacy NHS email addresses.
DHSC and NHSE/I have now launched an online Medicines Supply Tool, which provides up to date information about medicine supply issues. The contents of these MSNs can now be viewed on the Tool.
The Tool also details any changes to resupply dates and updates to the entries.
To access the Tool you will need an NHS email address. Once set up and logged in, you will be able to access it online.
New shortages not listed on the SPS website, can be reported using our shortage reporting tool.