SSP issued for Estradot® 75mcg patches
In response to a significant ongoing disruption to the supply of Estradot® 75micrograms/24hours patches, a Serious Shortage Protocol (SSP) has been issued by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC).
Effective today, 13 April 2023, SSP055 provides that for every Estradot® 75micrograms/24hours patch originally prescribed, one Evorel® 75 patch must be supplied. SSP055, authorised by the Secretary of State, has been developed by clinicians and provides pharmacists with procedures to follow in providing this suitable alternative product to help reduce the number of patients having to return to their prescriber for a replacement prescription.
|For prescriptions (NHS or private) requesting:
|Supply permitted under SSP055:
|Estradot® 75micrograms/24hours patches
|Evorel® 75 patches
The SSP may be amended or revoked at any time but currently expires on Friday 5 May 2023 – PSNC will update contractors on any changes.
Key points relating to SSP055
- This protocol does not allow for the quantity supplied to be less than the number of days prescribed on original prescription.
- There are no SSPs in place for other strengths of Estradot® patches – these strengths are not affected by supply disruptions and should continue to be dispensed in accordance with the prescriptions
- SSP055 only allows the substitution of Estradot® 75micrograms/24hours patches.
- Ensure that patients considered unsuitable for inclusion are promptly referred to their prescriber for further advice.
- The supervising pharmacist should ensure that the patient’s prescriber is notified when supplying a patient in accordance with this SSP
- The supervising pharmacist, using their professional judgement determines that swapping the patient to a different brand of a patch would not be suitable for the patient
- For endorsing requirements please refer to NHSBSA’s supporting guidance for SSP055.
Pharmacists must exercise their professional judgement to ensure the alternative products are suitable for the patient.
Contractors will receive an email to their shared NHSmail account informing them of this SSP and pharmacy teams are advised to read the documentation for SSP055 in full and to implement the protocol with immediate effect. Pharmacists are required to read and comply with the requirements outlined within the individual SSP as published on the NHSBSA website for SSP055: Estradot® 75micrograms/24hours patches.
Reimbursement is for the medicine supplied in accordance with the SSP and not the originally prescribed medicine i.e. in this instance contractors will be reimbursed the reimbursement price for Evorel® 75 patches. The reimbursement price will account for VAT payment. Supply in accordance with the SSP will result in the following fees being paid to the contractor:
- One Single Activity fee (currently £1.27)
- One SSP fee (£5.35)
Support in implementing the SSP
The following resources have been developed to support pharmacy teams in using these protocols.
Background information on SSPs
Further information on what SSPs are and when they may be used is available via the links below.