Charity Focus: Parkinson’s UK
Published on: 17th February 2017 | Updated on: 15th March 2022
This feature provides information about the support and resources available from Parkinson’s UK, a charity specifically focussed on driving better care, treatment and quality of life for anyone affected by Parkinson’s disease – patients, carers and family, and health and social care professionals.
Parkinson’s UK can be found on social media:
Parkinson’s UK has a number of resources that pharmacy teams can display in their pharmacies or signpost patients to on the Parkinson’s UK website such as:
- A quick introduction to Parkinson’s leaflet (available in different languages) – provides information on Parkinson’s and the support Parkinson’s UK offer;
- Parkinson’s information and support leaflet: detailing the support that Parkinson’s UK offers, available in different languages;
- Parkinson’s alert card – pocket sized information about Parkinson’s which patients can carry in case of emergencies or when having difficulties with movement or communication;
- Drug treatments for Parkinson’s booklet – provides information about the medicines most commonly used to help manage Parkinson’s; and
- Get it on time washbag – a bag for patients to take into hospital that contains useful information.
These resources, as well as many more, are all available to order free of charge by post, phone or email.
Parkinson’s UK also has a free, confidential helpline as well as Parkinson’s local advisors who have a wide range of knowledge and expertise about Parkinson’s and know about services in the local area.
Parkinson’s UK has a dedicated section on their website, UK Parkinson’s Excellence Network, aimed at health and social care professionals who work with people affected by Parkinson’s. It contains resources, education and training opportunities, as well as the latest news for professionals. You can sign up to the Excellence Network newsletter to be kept up to date on all the latest news, training, resources and events.
Resources that pharmacy teams may find useful are:
- Key information for community pharmacists booklet – outlines information about the key ways you can support people with Parkinson’s in your everyday practice;
- Drug treatments for Parkinson’s: Pocket guide – a quick summary of all the drugs commonly used for treatment; and
- Anticipatory care plan – outlines common complications that people with Parkinson’s might experience and what actions professionals can take to address them to prevent an unnecessary hospital admission.
These resources, as well as many more, are also all available to order free of charge by post, phone or email.